1) 1539 Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto arrives on site of modern Tallahasee
2) 1954 Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio divorce. He.allegedly hit her after seeing the “blowing skirt” picture. “Too exposed !!”
3) 1940 Following the fall of France General Charles de Gaulle forms a New French government in exile at his HQ in Afriica.
4) 1942 Germans and Italians miss intercepting the US convoy coming from America preparing to invade North Africa.
5) 1943 The US 34th Division, in Ital,y takes St Angelo close to the base of Monte Cassino.
6) 1944 Canadian troops continue clearing Germans from Holland so as to re-open shipping ports. Allied armies are still being supplied by truck from the Normandy beaches and ports. In Italy the allies become bogged down by the on coming winter conditions
Normandy Battlefield Tours
A guide to travelers planning a Normandy trip and a stimulus to those who have not planned to visit our heritage.